Component 4: Corridor-Wide ITS and TDM Improvements
4A: Providing Additional Commuter Parking in Spotsylvania and Stafford County | Map (582 KB)
Construct and expand two commuter parking facilities in Spotsylvania and Stafford counties.
4B: Transportation Technology
Support a wide range of intelligent transportation systems and advanced technology improvements in the I-95/I-395 Corridor.
- The I-95/I-395 Integrated Corridor Management Program
- Multimodal traveler information
- VDOT 511 system enhancements
- A Predictive Incident Detection System
- A Roadside Intrusion Detection System
- Updating selected ramp meters to adaptive ramp meters on I-95 and I-395
- An I-95 Commercial Truck Parking Location System.
The expansion of the Express Lanes will incorporate Pavement for Autonomous Vehicle Enhancement technology, creating nearly 50 miles of roadway available for deployment and testing of autonomous vehicles.
4C: Rest Area Reconstruction and Truck Parking | Map (250 KB)
The Atlantic Gateway Project will also completely reconstruct and re-configure both I-95 north and south rest areas in Caroline County to make these places safer for long-term truck parking.
Section 1401 of MAP-21, commonly referred to as Jason’s Law, encourages additional parking options for long haul truckers.
Based on a 2015 Jason’s Law FHWA survey, truckers identified I-95 as the worst corridor for parking shortages in the country.
Reconstructing these rest areas will provide approximately 50 additional truck parking spaces.